Miss North Metro Outstanding Teen 2010!

Miss North Metro Outstanding Teen 2010!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Your very first Miss North Metro Outstanding Teen 2010!

This is absolutely crazy for me to even say, but I am Bailey Wachholz, Miss North Metro Outstanding Teen 2010!

I was crowned just this past Sunday, and it has already been such an honor to represent the North Metro area as your "teen" title holder. I am very excited to see where the next 365 days of my reign will take me! But until then, I want you to get to know me a little better :)

Sooooooo, as you know I'm Bailey! I'm a sophmore at Brainerd High School in Brainerd, MN and am 15 years old. I like ANYTHING outdoors or on the lake and love playing the piano! I also rarely miss a Minnesota Twins baseball game, and yes... I am a huge Joe Mauer fan :) Give me something to talk about, and I could probally talk about it for hours!

A huge part of my life is my platform: Remember Me? Alzheimer's Through the Eyes of a Child. My father was diagnosed with early-stage Alzheimer's in January of 2009 and has now entered the "moderate" stage of the disease. I was only 13 at the time of his diagnoses and was overcome with feelings of fear and loneliness because how many kids do you know who have a father who has Alzheimer's? Yes, I'm in a unique position having a father with the disease, but what about other family members? Over 5.3 million American's are living with Alzheimer's. Just think about how many children are affected. If, let's say every person had 3 children somewhere in their families, thats almost 16 million children who are affected! I would say that is a HUGE number, and that's why I'm so active in the cause. I've created an education program that I've spoken to over 2000 students with in 7 schools that is specialized for 1st-4th graders. It let's them know what exactly Alzheimer's is so when they are faced with it, they already know everything they need to about Alzheimer's and related dementias, unlike myself. I'm also an active commitee member in both the Lakes Area Memory Awareness Advocates (LAMAA) and the Walk to End Alzheimer's right in my hometown. Both of which bring a ton of attention to the cause. The 2010 Memory Walk raised over 55,000 dollars! I'm so proud to live in the Brainerd Lakes Area.Upon many other things that I do for the cause, I just found out that the Minnesota-North Dakota Alzheimer's Assocation chose ME to be the Alzheimer's Champion of the Year! I am incredibly honored and thankful for all of the wonderful people in my life!

As Miss North Metro Outstanding Teen, I am excited to continue my work to build a society that is more aware of Alzheimer's and is willing to join me in supporting the 5.3 million American's living with the disease. I encourage you to visit my personal website, which I update often! http://www.beonthemove.weebly.com/ It has lots of great info and pictures from everything I have done with my platform!

I would like to quick congradulate my new "big sister queen" Bethany Beniek, Miss North Metro 2010! I am SO excited to begin my year with her, I know that it will be a year that will never be forgotten. Please visit her personal blog: http://www.missnorthmetro2010.blogspot.com/


                                       Bailey Wachholz
                                                     Miss North Metro OT 2010
                                                              Crowning moment
                                               My new sister queen Bethany!

No comments:

Post a Comment