Miss North Metro Outstanding Teen 2010!

Miss North Metro Outstanding Teen 2010!

Saturday, November 27, 2010

City of Lights Festival.

In my hometown of Nisswa, Minnesota, we have an after-Thanksgiving celebration on Black Friday called the City of Lights Festival. This is the OFFICIAL kick-off to Christmas... my favorite holiday!! There are horse drawn wagon rides, storytelling, bonfires, fireworks, and a live nativity. Santa even comes!

I was really excited because this year I got to be apart of it! Of course as Miss North Metro Outstanding Teen :) I was asked to sell blinking light necklaces and light up antlers, which was fun because I got to sell them with Miss Nisswa, Renee Kardell! Even in 15 degree weather, we still managed to have fun and get a few laughs in...

At 5:30, the whole town joins in for a countdown of when all the Christmas lights in Nisswa are turned on. Each store decorates their storefronts with lots of colorful lights. When you turn on the lights, the whole town lights up and it looks like a movie set! It is gorgeous! But of course, it only looks cool if ALL the lights go on at the SAME time. Renee and I were asked to turn a strip of lights on after the countdown. Of course we wern't going to say no... How many times do you get to light up the city of Nisswa for Christmas? Not many! Thinking that it would be easy to just plug in the cords to the outlet on a telephone pole, we didn't stress too much about it. (I think you might know where this story is heading) About 5:20 we headed over to the telephone pole. Then realizing we had 10 minutes before the countdown began, Renee and I wen't in to a nearby resturant to warm up for 5 minutes or so. I promise you we were keeping a close eye on the clock, and at exactly 5:27, we decided we better go outside and wait for the countdown. Opening the door of the resturant, I hear the man over the loud speaker saying, "Alright, lets begin our countdown! 10...9...". Renee and I both had a temporary freak out moment and ran (literally!), with our crowns and sashes I might add, to the telephone pole. We arrived just as the man was saying "1". Do you know the feeling when you're in a major hurry and nothing seems to go right? This was one of those feelings! We were scrambling to open up the outlet box, it wouldn't open! By now, 2/3's of the city is lit up and the other third is not... Oops! We pulled and we pushed at the box and it still wouldn't open. We couldn't figure it out! Somewhere inbetween our laughing and screaming, a man had gotten out of his van and was running towards us to come help. He popped the box open with ONE try and we quickly plugged the lights in... The town of Nisswa was officially lit up (5 minutes after the countdown had ended). Thanking the man many times for helping us we walked away. We were both very embarrassed! I still don't know how he got that outlet box open with one try, but it's a good thing Renee and I could laugh about it!

So I apologize to anyone reading this from Nisswa who was waiting for some of the lights to turn on. Renee and I take full responsibility! :)

All in all, it was a pretty interesting night. Very fun and I can't wait until next year!

Bailey




No comments:

Post a Comment