Miss North Metro Outstanding Teen 2010!

Miss North Metro Outstanding Teen 2010!

Friday, May 20, 2011

LAMAA Forum.

Reading the title of this blog, I'm sure you are wondering what LAMAA stands for :) It stands for Lakes Area Memory Awareness Advocates, and is a group that strives to make the Brainerd Lakes Area a safer and more education community for people who have Alzheimer's and related dementia's.

LAMAA was formed a little over a year and a half ago with help from the Alzheimer's Association and Jon Knopik from the Minnesota Council on Aging. It was a small group at first. My Mom and I attended the first few meetings and felt an instant connection with the people who attended and what the group wanted to acheive, so we stayed with them. LAMAA started laying the groundwork; first by finding a name and a motto, then really getting the word out.

The Forum was the first major event of LAMAA, and it was a huge success! It was a two day event held at Central Lakes College right in Brainerd. The keynote guest speaker was Dr. George Schoephoerster, who practices geriatric medicine and has studied Alzheimer's for many years. He opened both days with a speech explaining Alzheimer's and why there is such a need for a cure.

After Dr. George spoke, attendees could choose 2 of 4 breakout sessions each day. I was asked to do a "teen perspective" session on the impact that Alzheimer's has on children and teens and what I have personally done to combat Alzheimer's. I was inspired by the people I saw in the 2 days of this forum. Although I knew a couple of people, most were complete strangers. It was crazy to see how much they cared and how much respect they had for what I was doing. I met some pretty amazing people who have opened even more doors for me to further expand my educational program throughout Minnesota. I am excited to share about these oppurtunities as they get closer :)

I hope everyone is enjoying the summer that finally came!
Always,
Bailey
 The LAMAA booth with 2 other Memory Advocates, Lou and Julie :)
 Speaking at my breakout session!
 Most of the LAMAA Members :)
My family is the "face" of LAMAA. Which means that I see this picture everywhere I go in Brainerd. This picture on the posterboard was the biggest one I have seen so far :)

No comments:

Post a Comment