Miss North Metro Outstanding Teen 2010!

Miss North Metro Outstanding Teen 2010!

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sertoma Winter Wonderland.

Every year, the Brainerd Sertoma Club does a "Winter Wonderland" were they take the ENTIRE trail at the our local Arboretum and decorate it with lights (For those who don't know... Sertoma is a group of business people that do alot with in their community). But these lights aren't just any lights... They make them into huge Christmas-y characters and things like Rudolph, Christmas trees, and Santa! It is really cool (and hard to explain.... forgive me!).

I arrived at the Arb around 5pm on Saturday night ready to battle the cold :) I was talking with a few of the other volunteers and they told me that it costs about $4,000 in just electricity bills to run this type of thing... Talk about expensive! But totally worth it!! Along with talking to the men about electicity and lights, I got to chat with Santa. Yeah pretty cool :) I even got a picture with him and Mrs. Claus!

After talking with Santa, I decided I had better go outside and help them sell tickets. It was suprisingly not too cold outside. I had about 10 layers on (literally!), and I stayed fairly warm until about half way through. I had an amazing time though! I didn't know selling tickets could be that much fun. A man, Brian, from the Sertoma Club was also selling tickets with me, and let me tell you... He was incredibly funny! Whenever a car pulled up with kids in it he would tell them that we had a "Queenie" working tonight and asked them if they would like to meet me. He then proceded to tell them that since I was Miss NORTH Metro Outstanding Teen I represented everything north of the Metro area. Which if you think about it, it makes sense. But Brain kept going and said that I represent the North Pole because that is also north of the Metro and that I have met Santa and a couple of his elves. Of course then the kids were all over me! Haha! Brain asked one little boy if he thought I was pretty and he replied with a simple "Yes", then Brian asked him if he wanted to marry me and the boy said "No"... Wow! Rejection! It's okay though, life goes on :)

So all in all, it was a fun night. I was told that that was the most cars they had EVER seen there in one night. Then of course Brian had to pipe in and say it was all because of "Queenie"... Okay Brain, whatever you say! I left before the final count but I know it was astounding.

I feel so honored to have been apart of that night. I came home to frostbite on my fingers and really bad shivers, but I would do it again in a heartbeat... without even thinking! It was so rewarding.

I just love Christmas!
Bailey

 Mrs. Claus and Santa!
 Brain is on the left :)
Selling tickets!

No comments:

Post a Comment