Miss North Metro Outstanding Teen 2010!

Miss North Metro Outstanding Teen 2010!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Camp Building Bridges

For those that don't know, I just arrived home from Camp Building Bridges in Oklahoma! This camp is for teenagers who have a loved one who suffers from Alzheimer's. I went to this camp with another girl from Minnesota whose Dad also has Alzheimer's disease.

After landing at the Tulsa Airport in Oklahoma, Nikky and I found our bags and connected with Ronda from the Oklahoma-Arkansas Alzheimer's Association Chapter. I knew immediately that I was going to like her! She was bubbly and fun to be around.

After connecting with her, we waiting for 2 other campers plane to land. The first one that showed up was Holley from Georgia, who became one of my greatest friends that week. She is also 16 and has a father who has Alzheimer's. The next person was a guy from Texas named Tristan whose grandma has the disease. It's great to know that I'm not the only teenager having to care for a father and loved one who has Alzheimer's.

There was a long drive to the actual camp, we were 10 miles from the border of Arkansas in the foothills of the Ozarks. The actual camp name was New Life Ranch, which is a Christian camp. Right when we arrived, we met all of the other campers who came with the Alzheimer's Association. I walked into the room and felt an immediate connection to a roomful of strangers. It was simply amazing.

We then got to go to our cabins and meet our councelors for the week, Abbie and Lauren. They greeted us with open arms, ready to help us build our relationships with Christ. Although I was exhausted on Sunday from getting only 4 hours of sleep because of Miss MN on Saturday night, I was ready for this journey I was about to take. I made sure to thank God for getting me to Oklahoma safely.

After signing up for some activities, sleep finally came around 11:30 that night. I fell asleep within minutes and stayed asleep all night until 6:30 Monday morning when it was time for our horse-riding class we signed up for. I always enjoy riding horses because it's not something I get to do everyday. I rode a horse named Riley all week who was very tall!

That's how our weekdays would start; waking up at 6:30 to ride horses, then cleaning our cabin, and breakfast. After breakfast, we have our activity classes that we signed up for. Nikky and I signed up for photography and arts & crafts. Both of those classes allowed me to express my artistic side :)

Although the campers that are with the Alzheimer's Association are mingled in with the regular campers, we still manage to make time to talk with one another and really get to know each other. The 15 or 16 of us that are the Alzheimer's campers would meet from 4-6pm to talk about what we are going through, do some crafts, and play some games. It was great being able to relate to other teenagers and ask them questions I've had for a long time.

The friends that I made there are so different. They know exactly what I'm going through. They're not left to try and guess what it feels like to have to watch your loved one slowly die from an incurable disease... They already know. We also compared the crazy things that our loved ones do when they have Alzheimer's.

I can't even describe how much I am taking away from this journey. As I prepare for my final day full day (Friday the 24th), I've realized just how much I am walking away with. I have some incredible new friends who I know I will stay in contact with. I have new skills as to how to cope with things at home. I also feel like I have a new life in Christ, and a better understanding of His love for me. I don't know how one week changed my whole outlook on life, but it did.

Leaving on Saturday is going to be hard. I wish I could take all of the people I've met home with me, but I'm ready to see my parents and get back into the swing of life.

My plane is sceduled to fly into Minneapolis at 1:40pm and from there, I rush back to Brainerd to get ready for the Miss Brainerd Lakes/Miss Baxter pageant. I don't think I could have possibly packed more into 2 weeks :)

Good luck to all of the contestants!
Bailey





No comments:

Post a Comment